Thursday, October 25, 2012

Comfort Zone

Doing anesthesia in a hospital in the jungle sure takes you out of your comfort zone.  That said, they do have "most" of the modern anesthetic equipment here.  The trick is using drugs that were last used in the US over 20 years ago.  I heard about them and read about them, but have never really used them in my practice.  Also, I don't do a lot of pediatric anesthesia and since arriving here, more than half my cases have been on kids--very adorable African kids.

We may not like it, but God asks us to get out of our comfort zones whether we are in the jungle of Africa or at home in the US.  That is one of the lessons He is impressing upon me during this trip.

On another note, the picture with this post is of the only road back up to the capital city of Libreville where we fly out on Nov 2.  It is the same one we drove on to come here.  It is now washed out.  Thanks God our plans for now are to fly back to Libreville on the mission plane.