Thursday, January 23, 2014

Power - God's or Man's


I head out tomorrow for another two week trip to Bongolo Hospital in Gabon, Africa.  I return this time with Mike Welker who I made my first trip with back in the Fall of 2012.  His brother (an orthopedic surgeon as well) and his father will be serving with us.  I look forward to seeing what God will do these two weeks at Bongolo.  Pray for safety and strength.  Pray for our families as we are absent.  Pray for God's glory in all we do.
By now you may have heard that the transformer at Bongolo Hospital caught fire last Friday and they were on backup generator power.  Through a miracle of God, a new transformer has been delivered and they are in the process of installing as I write this.  Yes, this is a miracle--a 4 day turnaround in the jungles of Africa really isn't conceivable in this human mind.  

As He has done repeatedly throughout history, He provides for His children.  But, I must remember, He provides for us not just for us to perform our tasks (run a hospital), but ultimately to bring people to Him and to glorify Him.

I will admit, I was worried about the power situation and how it may interfere with our trip and running an operating room.  Yet, it is just like God to throw in a lesson on relying on His power and not ours.   Heading into this trip, this is where God wants my mindset to be--rely on His power and provision, not mine. 

Phi 4:13
13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
(ESV)